Monday, March 11, 2013

Walking for CFS, Fibromyalgia, Lyme Disease and other Chronic Conditions

When you have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia or other chronic condition involving fatigue, the last thing you might want to do is go for a walk.  But for me that was the easiest way back from feeling weak and sick.  I actually started by walking up and down in front of my house, as ridiculous as that sounds, because I was afraid of going too far.  I started slow and then slowly went farther and farther by mailboxes on the street.  Walking is the easiest on your joints and it takes no extra equipment other than a good pair of athletic shoes.  With each extension of distance, I felt a little better and more encouraged about getting well.  I realize this is nothing you haven't heard before, but maybe today is the day you will listen and take action.  Just remember to pace yourself - don't go out like gangbusters and exhaust yourself.  Start with small goals and be gentle with yourself.  That is key.  And realize there are others, like me, who have been in the same boat as you and improved their life significantly.  You can get better!
Please let me know if I can help you get going.....
 


No comments:

Post a Comment