Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Healthy Option - Have A Smoothie!

There have been times during a flare of CFS that I did not feel like eating, but I knew had to build my strength back up.  Back in the 1980's when I was in the worst of the flare-ups, I lost a lot of weight and what I turned to was Ensure to take in some calories and nutrition.  Since then, I have discovered smoothies.  There are hundreds of recipes out there for smoothies - all you have to do is look on the intranet.  This is what works for me - I make up my own recipe based on what I have available and what appeals to me.

I start with a handful of ice, add some frozen or fresh fruit (banana and apple adds the sweetness I prefer-blueberries, strawberries), some leafy greens if I want  some veggies (kale, chard, spinach), some rice milk, sometimes some coconut milk yogurt, and whatever else appeals to me.  To this I add 1 heaping tablespoon of rice protein powder, tumeric for inflammation, but any spice or herb you like like cinnamon, and more ice water if more liquid is needed. Mix in blender until ingredients are like a milkshake.  Try it, if whole foods do not appeal to you or you need some extra energy.  Delicious, nutritious and easy on the stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment