Friday, April 19, 2013

Water Aerobics Anyone?

For some time, I have been looking for a new type of exercise to supplement my walking and strength work.  I tried Zumba, but the side to side dance steps made my knees turn in painful ways.  A few years back I started doing yoga, which I still do occasionally.  But nothing really grabbed me.  My good friend and hair stylist suggested I try water aerobics at the local pool.  Now I do swim in my own pool in the summer, but it doesn't warm up for enough for me until late May, so I thought, "What the heck, I'll give water aerobics a try."  The pool is heated, but I wasn't sure if it would be warm enought for me.  Cold pool water just makes my joints and body ache.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find the pool water temp perfect.  My friend was there for the class and kind of showed my the ropes.  The instructor was full of energy and gave us quite a workout.  Thirty minutes of cardio, arms and legs working, and the rest of the hour in more toning exercises with equipment such as kickboards, noodles, and floating weights.  It was definitely a workout, but being in the pool and with other women made it fun.  My only problem was restraining myself with trying to keep up with others who had been doing this for quite a while.  Being in the water was deceptive and my competitive juices wanted to keep up.  But I slowed myself down and reminded myself to cool it - this was my first time. I'm glad I did because I was pretty tired that day and the next and there are muscles that still hurt a little.  But I would recommend water aerobics to anyone who wants to try something new and that is not weight-bearing, which could be a huge help to anyone with a chronic health challenge.  Why not give it a try??

No comments:

Post a Comment