Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chronic Health Problem? Find your Passion!

There have been many times in the past 25 years that I have felt down and discouraged about having been diagnosed with CFS.  When my muscles and joints are aching, it is hard to ignore.  So I have learned that the quickest way to get out of the "poor me" mode is to engage in one of my passions, from the simplest (reading a good book or watching an old movie) to more active (volunteering at the local therapeutic riding stable.)  Today my husband took me kayaking for the first time.  Now admittedly, I was apprehensive about doing something so active, worrying about whether I would have the energy.  But you know, what?  I just said, "I'm going for it" and I did it.  I can say quite honestly that I did not think about the stressful week I had, or how my hands have been aching or my eyes twitching for the whole 2 1/2 hours.  I love being in nature and that can take the form of a walk, hike or just sitting next to some water.  Now tomorrow I may be sore and tired- I can feel it already - but I can say that I did it! I came home and took a nap and still feel a bit tired, but full of fresh air and sunshine.  And that's a good thing for any life challenge you may have.

I love horses - rode competitively as a girl- and working at the therapeutic stable gives me a chance to be around horses and help the special needs kids who ride there.  It gets my mind off the cares of the day and my physical condition.  Sometimes I just go outside and sit by the pool under an umbrella and read a good book.  That takes my mind right off my troubles or pain.  Same goes for spending time with my family.

Have you ever taken time to think about what your passions are?  Write them down.  What were you doing as a child when you really lost track of time and were late for dinner?  What kinds of movies or books get you excited or move you?  What would you do if money were no object and you had all the time in the world?  What makes you heart sing?  I guarantee if you take just one baby step and do something that you are passionate about, you will do your body, mind, and spirit good!  Try it!


                                          
                                           
                          me kayaking                                                               helping at horse show

No comments:

Post a Comment