Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Is It Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) or Something Else?

In 1982, at the age of 30, I came down with a bad case of mononeucleosis.  It took me two months to recover and go back to work.  In 1984, I suffered what I thought was a relapse of the mono with the exact same symptoms (not so much sore throat, but nausea, weight loss and fatigue).  After going to my GP who said my mono spot test was negative and was mystified, I went to an internist who coincidentally had just read an article in the Journal of Internal Medicine about a new condition that was emerging called Chronic Epstein Barre Virus Syndrome.  He was convinced that that was what I had, but could offer nothing in the way of treatment options.  Over the years I had several flare-ups of the condition and did everything I could in terms of researching the condition and living my life carefully.  I was relieved that over time, physicians began to recognize it as an emerging problem suffered by many.  The condition was named chronic fatigue syndrome (and its sister, fibromyalgia.)

I have navigated this condition pretty successfully (with lots of bumps) and, with the assistance of some practitioners who think outside the box, have begun to look CFS differently.  Yes, I believe the condition does exist, no doubt.  But I also believe other factors may contribute to the syndrome, such as food sensitivities and bad gut organisms.  I will be sharing my journey with CFS in this blog and what has and hasn't worked for me.  As a wellness coach, my desire is to help others with discouraging chronic health conditions to think in terms of wellness instead of illness.  Changes to my website are coming!  Feel free to contact me at www.lifestylesbyjane.com for wellness coaching.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment