Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Can You Be Thankful Instead of Critical?

So Saturday I was at the Painted Pony Farm Fun Day in Monticello, Florida and my amazing grandson was doing a demonstration for the crowd of therapeutic horseback riding which he does at Hands and Hearts for Horses in Thomasville.  He is on the autism spectrum and sometimes gets distracted in crowds, like at a horse show.  I was side-walking with him during the demo (doing an ankle or over-the-knee-hold) and generally helping to keep him focused on the instructor.  It was a fun day and great publicity for H & H, who do amazing work with people with physical and mental challenges.

Later that night, there were even some video clips of my grandson, Granger Henning, on the local news riding at the Fun Day.  As they showed the shot of him trotting on Andrew, the H & H horse, I saw myself jogging next to him.  The first thing I thought was, "My backside looks huge, instead of thinking, "Wow, I am so grateful to be able to jog with my grandson next to me, at my age and with a diagnosis of CFS and fibromyalgia.  My legs are strong."

It is so easy to be critical with ourselves and the way we look.  I am guilty of this, as I am sure most women are as well.  Can we just stop beating ourselves up for not being 120 lbs. and look like the models in magazines and start being grateful for what we can do with our bodies?  Today I am going to volunteer up at the stable and I am grateful to have the energy to do it.  What part of your body can you be grateful for today?  Can we just be gentle with ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment