Sunday, August 4, 2013

Being Still

Has anyone ever told you that you should practice meditation or spend time just being still?  I have read books on meditation and tried several different kinds:  centering prayer, focusing on a mantra, focusing on breath, or just sitting.  The health benefits of meditation are enormous, I know this.  That is why I keep trying.  What has worked best for me is focusing on a sacred word or phrase (whatever is meaningful) or just my breath going in and out.  Now I try and do this for about 10 minutes before I get out of bed in the morning and sometime during the day.  I don't expect long periods of nothingness and I don't expect to stop having thoughts.  Having thoughts is natural.  When you realize you have strayed off, just go back to your word, phrase mantra or breath.  It really does calm your whole body down, especially if you are having stressful times in your life. 

Why not try 5-10 minutes od slow breathing today?  I love this image:

No comments:

Post a Comment