Friday, May 31, 2013

Eating Out and Food Allergies/Sensitivities

Oh, the perils of eating out when you have multiple food sensitivities and allergies.  Just got home from eating at a really cool restaurant that usually gets my "special" orders correct.  Not so tonight. Had a hankerin' for my once-a-month helping of red meat, so I ordered an angus burger, no bun (can't have gluten), no cheese (can't have dairy), and no fries (contaminated with gluten), substitute asparagus.  What did I get?  Cheeseburger and fries!!!  A real bummer.  But, the restaurant general manager and our waiter apologized profusely, took it back and returned some time later with the order correct this time.  And it was delicious.  Don't be afraid to special order if you have to - most places will accommodate you if you ask and are specific. I am used to ferreting out what will work for my crazy restrictions - in most cases, salad (no cheese), chicken, fish or turkey, and side order of veggies (no cheese).  Plain rice and baked potatoes work well, too.  If you need help navigating the perils of eating with food sensitivities or allergies, contact me.  I'll be glad to work with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment