Thursday, July 4, 2013

What Being In Nature Can Do For You

This past week I went up to NC to visit a friend who has built a house on the side of a mountain near Burnsville.  I have never been in this area of the NC mountains and it was truly spectacular.  Green, green hills and valleys, lots of wildlife (deer outside the back door, wild turkeys on the road, bunnies, hummingbirds and even a weasel), and plenty of fresh air.  Even the rain was refreshing and beautiful.  The cloud formations were constantly changing.  I watched everything from a fantastic deck overlooking the valley.  My whole self was able to relax and forget about any worries.

We hiked on the Appalachian Trail for a about an hour and I was proud of myself for being able to do it.  I felt tired, but so relaxed afterward.  I stopped and took breaks when I needed to - it wasn't a race.  Many people with chronic health conditions don't even try to push themselves for fear of not being able to do things outside their normal routine.  It is amazing what the body can do with a little encouragement (from a friend) and lots of positive ions (the good air near the mountains and sea.)  Being in nature is good for your body, mind and spirit.  Why not step outside your comfort zone and walk a new route, hike a trail for a bit, swim in the ocean or pool or just be still and take in God's creation?  It will do wonders for you!  This is what I saw as I sat with my tea in the early morning:


Just beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment