Thursday, December 6, 2012

Food Sensitivities, Adrenal Stress and Chronic Fatigue

Many people with chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia go from doctor to doctor looking for help with feeling tired and achey.  When they can offer nothing, we turn to alternative practitioners, such as nurse practitioners, chiropractors, acupuncturists, massage therapists, etc.  I have tried all of these and more.  My first ray of hope came when I found Elizabeth Markovich, NP at Integrative Healthcare  http://www.ihcfl.com/ at the recommendation of a friend.  Elizabeth suspected that my adrenals might be exhausted or that I may have food sensitivities which may be causing the fatigue and joint and muscle pain.  Over  a period of time, she did a blood test called the Adrenal Stress Index (ASI) through Diagnos-Techs, Inc. and multiple blood tests for food sensitivities through Immuno Laboratories.

The first major breakthrough came when I got the results of the ASI test.  The test showed that my adrenals were depressed.  The big shocker came when she showed me some other tests that are a part of the index.  The GliadinAb, SIgA number was positive for a severe intolerance to grain glutens (wheat, rye, oat, barley, and others).  I never suspected that I had an gluten intolerance, but the test showed that I had a high-grade intestinal inflammation going on from the gluten.  No wonder I was tired and having GI complaints!  My body was incredibly stressed!  First, I was in denial, then I slowly realized that I had to give up gluten, probably permanently.  The tests results also gave an example of a restoration plan for my adrenals and gut using supplements.  I had additional tests done by my gatroenterologist and I do have a genetic marker for celiac disease, but additional testing showed my small intestine was fine and not distressed (probably from having eliminated gluten).  I have been off gluten for several years now, and although inconvenient at times, it is worth having a healthy gut and feeling better.  It is definitely a lifestyle change.  I am happy to help anyone who may have gluten intolerance or celiac disease in changing their lifestyle to no gluten.  Additional food intolerance tests done through Immuno Laboratories showed that I had problems with shellfish, almonds, cranberries, and others, which I have eliminated.

The discovery of the food intolerances has been only a part of my healing from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  Stay tuned for the next chapters of my recovery, which include eliminating stomach bugs, using probiotics, digestive enzymes and Vitamin C and receiving healing prayer.  You can get well, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment