Friday, December 13, 2013

Stressed Out Over Holiday Madness?

Wow!  It has been an intense couple of weeks.  Starting with preparing Thanksgiving dinners for lots of family and then being asked to start a weekly fashion article for BetterAfter50.com, I have been stressed to the max.  Add in some medical procedures, trying to buy Christmas presents, and helping with grandkids and I needed to just say, "Stop!"
My heart has been racing and my eye started twitching which is always a sign that I am worrying and obsessing way to much.  I nearly had a melt-down in an ice cream shop with my granddaughter.  Picture Nana and Harper, both on the verge of tears.  Crazy, right?  So what do I do to get my equilibrium back?


First, I stop and take some deep breaths.  Realize that I have plenty of time to get everything done.  And if something doesn't get done one day, I can do it the next or the next.  This stuff is surely not worth having it affect my health and well-being.  Next, I go back to my quiet time of meditation and journaling in my favorite chair with the morning sun streaming in.  Then I go for a walk in nature and that really helps.  Now I can proceed with making a manageable list of things to do today, starting with asking myself "What is the One Thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?"  Borrowed from the book by Gary Keller "The ONE Thing."  It really works and I highly recommend this great book.

So today I am headed to the mall to get a bunch of gift cards for people - that will make my life easier and calmer today.  Plus, I am going to wear my sneakers and get a walk in at the same time.

What are you going to do today such that by doing it will make everything else easier or unnecessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment